Hard limit on CPUs

Is it possible to enforce the Trainable does not use more than the configured CPUs for that trial?

With the below spec I see the CPU usage > 400% for each of the trials running in parallel on my 16 core machine,

analysis = tune.run(
    training_function,
    resources_per_trial={"cpu": 4, "gpu": 0},
    config={
    },
    num_samples=2)

Hi @Nitin_Pasumarthy, just to be clear, does this means your 2 parallel trials are using more than 8 CPUs in total? How many? All 16?

Hi Kai,
Yes I see the activity on all 16. The objective function launches a subprocess which tries to use all available multiple cores. So, I was wondering why Ray is not restricting the number of visible CPUs for each of these multi core trials, something like what linux’s cgroup does

I’m running into the same issue with a hypertuning process. Even when I specify only one cpu is allowed to be used in tune.run’s resources_per_trial, it occupies most of my 12 cores. It’s completely unexpected behaviour, so I’d like to know what is going on as well.

–edit

Apparently this was implemented on purpose: “If specifying CPUs, Ray does not enforce isolation (i.e., your task is expected to honor its request” (Ray Core Walkthrough — Ray v2.0.0.dev0).