"Tune detects GPUs" warning trigger even though GPU is requested in resources_per_trial

Hi all!

I just recently discovered Ray Tune and would like to use it in combination with PyTorch Lightning for hyperparameter optimization.
So I was very pleased when I found ray_lightning. However, after getting the example on git running on cpu I wanted to try something bolder and use GPU(s). When I modified the get_tune_ddp_resources function to use GPUs

resources_per_trial=get_tune_ddp_resources(
            num_workers=1,
            cpus_per_worker=1,
            use_gpu=True
        ),

I got the following warning

WARNING tune.py:506 -- Tune detects GPUs, but no trials are using GPUs. To enable trials to use GPUs, set tune.run(resources_per_trial={'gpu': 1}...) which allows Tune to expose 1 GPU to each trial. You can also override `Trainable.default_resource_request` if using the Trainable API.

In combination with ray_lightning it seemed that indeed no GPUs were allocated for the trials.
But when I tried to reproduce it with this short dummy setup

def dummy_function(config):
	print("VISIBLE: ", os.environ.get("CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES", None))
	tune.report(minimum=config["value"])

def tune_dummy_placement_group():

config = {"value": tune.loguniform(1e-4, 1e-1)}

analysis = tune.run(
		tune.with_parameters(dummy_function),
		resources_per_trial=tune.PlacementGroupFactory([{"CPU": 1, "GPU": 1}]),
		metric="minimum",
		config=config,
		mode="min",
		num_samples=3
	)

def tune_dummy_resource_dict():

config = {"value": tune.loguniform(1e-4, 1e-1)}

analysis = tune.run(
		tune.with_parameters(dummy_function),
		resources_per_trial={
			"cpu": 1,
			"gpu": 1
		},
		metric="minimum",
		config=config,
		mode="min"
	)

I discovered that GPUs ARE exposed. In both cases, I was able to retrieve CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES .

So coming to my questions:

1. Why is the warning triggered even though the GPUs seem to be exposed as expected
  2. Why are they NOT exposed in ray_lightning

Hey @mspanring! I responded to you here CUDA devices are not exposed when running in DDP mode with multiple GPUs · Issue #84 · ray-project/ray_lightning · GitHub :slight_smile:

If you also set use_gpu=True into get_tune_ddp_resources then the hacks shouldn’t be necessary and you shouldn’t be seeing this warning message anymore.