Training with a random policy

How severe does this issue affect your experience of using Ray?

• High: It blocks me to complete my task.

I have a multi-agent, multi-policy setup in which I would like to train some agents, but others I want them to behave heuristically/randomly. Here’s my setup, the simulation is defined here:

from abmarl.examples import MultiCorridor
from abmarl.managers import TurnBasedManager
from abmarl.external import MultiAgentWrapper
from ray.rllib.examples.policy.random_policy import RandomPolicy

sim = MultiAgentWrapper(TurnBasedManager(MultiCorridor()))

sim_name = "MultiCorridor"
from ray.tune.registry import register_env
register_env(sim_name, lambda sim_config: sim)

# Arbitrarily distinguish between two policies
ref_agent = sim.sim.agents['agent0']
policies = {
    'corridor_0': (None, ref_agent.observation_space, ref_agent.action_space, {}),
    'corridor_1': (RandomPolicy, ref_agent.observation_space, ref_agent.action_space, {}),
    # 'corridor_1': (None, ref_agent.observation_space, ref_agent.action_space, {}),
}

# Arbitrarily choose between the two policies
def policy_mapping_fn(agent_id):
    return f'corridor_{int(agent_id[-1]) % 2}'

# Experiment parameters
params = {
    'experiment': {
        'title': f'{sim_name}',
        'sim_creator': lambda config=None: sim,
    },
    'ray_tune': {
        'run_or_experiment': 'PG',
        'checkpoint_freq': 50,
        'checkpoint_at_end': True,
        'stop': {
            'episodes_total': 2000,
        },
        'verbose': 2,
        'config': {
            # --- Simulation ---
            'disable_env_checking': True,
            'env': sim_name,
            'horizon': 200,
            'env_config': {},
            # --- Multiagent ---
            'multiagent': {
                'policies': policies,
                'policy_mapping_fn': policy_mapping_fn,
            },
            # "lr": 0.0001,
            # --- Parallelism ---
            # Number of workers per experiment: int
            "num_workers": 0,
            # Number of simulations that each worker starts: int
            "num_envs_per_worker": 1, # This must be 1 because we are not "threadsafe"
        },
    }
}

if __name__ == "__main__":
    # Create output directory and save to params
    import os
    import time
    home = os.path.expanduser("~")
    output_dir = os.path.join(
        home, 'abmarl_results/{}_{}'.format(
            params['experiment']['title'], time.strftime('%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M')
        )
    )
    params['ray_tune']['local_dir'] = output_dir
    if not os.path.exists(output_dir):
        os.makedirs(output_dir)

# Copy this configuration file to the output directory
    import shutil
    shutil.copy(os.path.join(os.getcwd(), __file__), output_dir)

# Initialize and run ray
    import ray
    from ray import tune
    ray.init()
    tune.run(**params['ray_tune'])
    ray.shutdown()

As you can see, I’m attempting to use RLlib’s RandomPolicy to control agents who are mapped to corridor_1 policy. With this setup, I get the following error:

Failure # 1 (occurred at 2022-10-03_08-20-06)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/tune/ray_trial_executor.py", line 901, in get_next_executor_event
    future_result = ray.get(ready_future)
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/_private/client_mode_hook.py", line 105, in wrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/worker.py", line 1809, in get
    raise value.as_instanceof_cause()
ray.exceptions.RayTaskError(IndexError): e[36mray::PGTrainer.train()e[39m (pid=6262, ip=127.0.0.1, repr=PGTrainer)
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/tune/trainable.py", line 349, in train
    result = self.step()
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/agents/trainer.py", line 1093, in step
    raise e
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/agents/trainer.py", line 1074, in step
    step_attempt_results = self.step_attempt()
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/agents/trainer.py", line 1155, in step_attempt
    step_results = self._exec_plan_or_training_iteration_fn()
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/agents/trainer.py", line 2172, in _exec_plan_or_training_iteration_fn
    results = self.training_iteration()
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/agents/trainer.py", line 1420, in training_iteration
    new_sample_batches = synchronous_parallel_sample(self.workers)
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/execution/rollout_ops.py", line 74, in synchronous_parallel_sample
    return [worker_set.local_worker().sample()]
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/rollout_worker.py", line 815, in sample
    batches = [self.input_reader.next()]
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py", line 116, in next
    batches = [self.get_data()]
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py", line 289, in get_data
    item = next(self._env_runner)
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py", line 722, in _env_runner
    clip_actions=clip_actions,
  File "/Users/rusu1/.virtual_envs/v_abmarl/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py", line 1248, in _process_policy_eval_results
    env_id: int = eval_data[i].env_id
IndexError: list index out of range

When I change the policies so that both of them are trainable, like so:

policies = {
    # 'corridor_1': (RandomPolicy, ref_agent.observation_space, ref_agent.action_space, {}),
    'corridor_1': (None, ref_agent.observation_space, ref_agent.action_space, {}),
}

I do not get an error, the training runs successfully.

@rusu24edward,

Interesting find. If you add policies_to_train=["corridor_0"] to the multiagent" config does that help?

Thanks for the suggestion @mannyv. I added it, and got the same error

I just upgraded to ray 2.0, and I still get the same error…

If I do this:

policies = {
    'corridor_1': (None, ref_agent.observation_space, ref_agent.action_space, {}),
}

together with this:

policies_to_train=["corridor_0"]

Will it only train corridor_0?

I ran a tests to see what would happen:

The top graph is corridor 0, for which training is “on” in both runs. The bottom graph is corridor 1, for which training is only on in the second run. In the first run (the black line), corridor 0 reaches an average score of 80 while corridor 1 stays around 20. In the second run (the blue line), they both reach an average score around 95. This seems to me to indicate that corridor 1 was in fact not trained in the first run. However, I would like some confirmation about this since the docs on policies_to_train is a little ambiguous.

@rusu24edward,

Yes that is correct. Below is documentation in the code to confirm.

One thought, assuming you have discrete actions, would be to customize the config for corridor_1 so that the exploration_config specifies EpsilonGreedy and make epsilon 1.0.

Thanks for the confirmation! This should get me started for now. In the future, I would like to provide actual heuristic policies instead of just random ones, and I’ll see if I run into errors with that.

@rusu24edward,

I think this is the error:

The RandomPolicy is computing actions like this:

But the input is a dictionary, not a batch of dictionaries:

obs_batch: {'position': array([[4]]), 'left': array([[0]]), 'right': array([[0]])}

So what compute_actions is doing is iterating over every key of the dictionary and generating an action for it. Instead of sending one action it is sending 3 actions for an agent.

When I changed compute actions to this is ran without error:
return [self.action_space_for_sampling.sample()], [], {}

Awesome find!

My understanding is that compute_actions will provide batches of actions, setting it apart from compute_single_action. I would expect obs_batch to be an iterable of observations. In my simulation, a single observation has the form

{
    'position': ,
    'left': ,
    'right':
}

so it seems that obs_batch should contain this single observation in a list or tuple.

That is what I would have expected too. I am not sure why it is not the case and I have not tried to dig deeper.

1 Like

Reported this as a bug, hopefully it gets fixed soon