[SGD] [Tune] Issue with ray.util.sgd.data.Dataset API

Hi ,

I have been using ray.util.sgd.data.Dataset with pytorch . The sole purpose of this API is to ingest huge data into ray and train it.

In my case when trying to train the data .It displays

{‘num_samples’: 351, ‘epoch’: 1.0, ‘batch_count’: 1.0, ‘train_loss’: 1.201025366783142, ‘last_train_loss’: 1.201025366783142}
{‘num_samples’: 0, ‘epoch’: 2.0, ‘batch_count’: 0.0}
{‘num_samples’: 0, ‘epoch’: 3.0, ‘batch_count’: 0.0}

All the samples are loaded into the first epoch always. The other epochs are all empty.

My code snippet

MyTrainingOperator = TrainingOperator.from_creators(
   model_creator= model_creator, optimizer_creator=optimizer_creator,
   loss_creator= torch.nn.CrossEntropyLoss, scheduler_creator=scheduler_creator,
   data_creator=None)

trainer = TorchTrainer(
  training_operator_cls=MyTrainingOperator,
  scheduler_step_freq="epoch",
  config={"batch_size": 64}
  )

# fetching  values from database using Dataset.
db_dataset = fetch_values_from_database()

for i in range(500):
   # Train for another epoch using the dataset
    stats = trainer.train(dataset=db_dataset , num_steps=200)
    print(stats)

I can share more details on the dataset. Thanks in advance.

@SumanthDatta hmm this is odd. could you provide a small reproducible example so I can try it out? Thanks.

Sure I will try to provide an example, in my case the data is fetched from a database. The fetching part is done using parallel iterator. Parallel iterator is passed to a dataset class.

Does the same problem happen for you with the basic example on the docs? It would really help to debug if there is a small, reproducible example I can try out.

@amogkam , i am sharing the code in the below link. I was able to replicate the issue. I might be dong some thing wrong here. Please help in identifying the issue.

https://codeshare.io/29o7R8

The dataset used is

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jbrownlee/Datasets/master/ionosphere.csv

Download the csv and provide path in the code. Thanks in advance. If this problem is solved. It will be great help to me.

@amogkam , any findings till now?

Hey @SumanthDatta apologies for the late response here. Can you try with this change: it = ray.util.iter.from_items(rows_list)it = ray.util.iter.from_items(rows_list, repeat=True)