RLLIB PPO error on non-finished episodes

Hi,

I’m having trouble using PPO when a episode is not finished. The following minimal example fails when using PPO but works with DQN.

import ray
from ray import tune
from ray.rllib.algorithms.ppo import PPOConfig, PPO
from ray.rllib.algorithms.dqn import DQNConfig, DQN

from ray.rllib.examples.env.simple_rpg import SimpleRPG
from ray.rllib.examples.models.simple_rpg_model import CustomTorchRPGModel

from ray.rllib.examples.env.simple_corridor import SimpleCorridor

class MySimpleRPG(SimpleRPG):
    def step(self, action):
        # in SimpleRPG, 'done' is always True        v 
        return self.observation_space.sample(), 1, False, {}

ALGO = "PPO"

if ALGO == "PPO":
    config = PPOConfig()
    trainer = PPO
elif ALGO == "DQN":
    config = DQNConfig()
    trainer = DQN

if __name__ == "__main__":
    config.framework_str = "torch"
    config.num_rollout_workers = 0

# Repeated env
    config.env = MySimpleRPG
    # Non-repeated
    #config.env = SimpleCorridor

ray.init(local_mode=True)

tune.run(trainer, config=config)

The code reaches as far as to the PPO ‘compute_gae_for_sample_batch’ but when the ‘new_obs’ column of the view should be created the following error happens:

input_dict = sample_batch.get_single_step_input_dict(
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/policy/sample_batch.py", line 1152, in get_single_step_input_dict
    self[data_col],
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/policy/sample_batch.py", line 818, in __getitem__
    value = dict.__getitem__(self, key)

The following method is the culprit where index=“last”.

def get_single_step_input_dict(
        self,
        view_requirements: ViewRequirementsDict,
        index: Union[str, int] = "last",
    ) -> "SampleBatch":

Has there been any changes so that the examples no longer work? I know that RLLib changed a lot a few versions ago (?especially regarding views and how batches are structured?) but did this also break the examples? I also tried with a ‘SimpleRPG’ environment which is closer to what I’m actually working with and where I originally encountered this error. To encounter the error I needed to change the ‘SimpleRPG’ environment to not always finish the episode. However, it fails for much simpler environments such as ‘SimpleCorridor’ also.

The below error trace and call trace is the complete error so to speak.

2023-01-12 10:04:20,110 ERROR trial_runner.py:1088 -- Trial PPO_MySimpleRPG_236b7_00000: Error processing event.
ray.exceptions.RayTaskError(KeyError): ray::PPO.train() (pid=316653, ip=192.36.221.166, repr=PPO)
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/tune/trainable/trainable.py", line 367, in train
    raise skipped from exception_cause(skipped)
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/tune/trainable/trainable.py", line 364, in train
    result = self.step()
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/algorithms/algorithm.py", line 749, in step
    results, train_iter_ctx = self._run_one_training_iteration()
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/algorithms/algorithm.py", line 2623, in _run_one_training_iteration
    results = self.training_step()
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/algorithms/ppo/ppo.py", line 318, in training_step
    train_batch = synchronous_parallel_sample(
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/execution/rollout_ops.py", line 82, in synchronous_parallel_sample
    sample_batches = [worker_set.local_worker().sample()]
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/rollout_worker.py", line 900, in sample
    batches = [self.input_reader.next()]
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py", line 92, in next
    batches = [self.get_data()]
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py", line 285, in get_data
    item = next(self._env_runner)
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py", line 671, in _env_runner
    active_envs, to_eval, outputs = _process_observations(
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py", line 1155, in _process_observations
    sample_collector.try_build_truncated_episode_multi_agent_batch()
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/collectors/simple_list_collector.py", line 644, in try_build_truncated_episode_multi_agent_batch
    self.postprocess_episode(episode, is_done=False)
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/collectors/simple_list_collector.py", line 512, in postprocess_episode
    post_batches[agent_id] = policy.postprocess_trajectory(
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/algorithms/ppo/ppo_torch_policy.py", line 218, in postprocess_trajectory
    return compute_gae_for_sample_batch(
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/postprocessing.py", line 178, in compute_gae_for_sample_batch
    input_dict = sample_batch.get_single_step_input_dict(
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/policy/sample_batch.py", line 1152, in get_single_step_input_dict
    self[data_col],
  File "/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/policy/sample_batch.py", line 818, in __getitem__
    value = dict.__getitem__(self, key)
get_single_step_input_dict (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/policy/sample_batch.py:1150)
compute_gae_for_sample_batch (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/postprocessing.py:178)
postprocess_trajectory (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/algorithms/ppo/ppo_torch_policy.py:218)
postprocess_episode (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/collectors/simple_list_collector.py:512)
try_build_truncated_episode_multi_agent_batch (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/collectors/simple_list_collector.py:644)
_process_observations (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py:1155)
_env_runner (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py:671)
get_data (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py:285)
next (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/sampler.py:92)
sample (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/evaluation/rollout_worker.py:900)
synchronous_parallel_sample (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/execution/rollout_ops.py:82)
training_step (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/algorithms/ppo/ppo.py:318)
_resume_span (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/util/tracing/tracing_helper.py:466)
_run_one_training_iteration (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/algorithms/algorithm.py:2623)
_resume_span (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/util/tracing/tracing_helper.py:466)
step (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/algorithms/algorithm.py:749)
train (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/tune/trainable/trainable.py:364)
actor_method_executor (/home/*/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/_private/function_manager.py:674)

Thanks in advance,
Johan

Hey @zalador , thanks for raising this issue. I can actually run your example code just fine (with PPO) on the latest master. Except for one small change you have to do in order to abide to the new gymnasium API:

• pip install gymnasium
  • change the ray.rllib.examples.env.simple_rpg.SimpleRPG env to return an additional empty {} info dict from reset (besides the obs), like so:
    def reset(self, *, seed=None, options=None):
        return self.observation_space.sample(), {}

then, the example runs. I’ll provide a PR to fix that example env of ours.

Hi and thanks for the response. I can confirm that using the latest nightly as well as gymnasium fixes the issue. I was using ray=2.2.0 beforehand and by adding the view requirement in the model init method myself also solved it.

self.view_requirements[SampleBatch.NEXT_OBS] = ViewRequirement(
    SampleBatch.OBS, space=self.obs_space, shift=+1
)

If i understand the view_requirements correctly, I guess somewhere along the way the PPO policy did not include the ‘next_obs’ view when doing the ‘dummy_batch’ pass. Or it might have been some other issue. Thank you again :slight_smile:

Johan

1 Like