Observation space in custom model is bounded in [1-, 1]

Disclaimer: I’m using Ray 1.8

I am using a custom DQN model, extending the DistributionalQTFModel class. For now, my class is just a wrapper around FullyConnectedNetwork (i.e. I instantiate a FullyConnectedNetwork in my class __init__() and call it in my forward()).

I noticed that if I print the obs_space I receive in my class __init__(), it is a Box with range [-1, 1], even though my environment produces an observation space with a much wider range (example: [0, 200], or [0, inf]). In fact, if I print the obs_space.original_space, the bounds are what I expect.

Should I be worried about this? Does this mean my observations are truncated/scaled somewhere, even though I did not define any preprocessor/wrapper around my environment? Or will the FullyConnectedNetwork process them differently than I should expect (since it receives the obs_space as an argument)?

1 Like

@fedetask ,

hard to say without having the class definition. Can’t reproduce this when initializing the parent FullyConnectedNetwork(). There the obs_space is the one from the input.

I add the class definition down below. However, my intuition is that this falls outside of my class since the obs_space I describe comes directly from what my class receives in its __init__.

class DQNModel(DistributionalQTFModel):
    """
    Custom DQN model that implements action masking by setting the Q values of unavailable
    actions with tf.float32.min.
    """

def __init__(
            self,
            obs_space: GymDict,
            action_space: Discrete,
            num_outputs: int,
            model_config: ModelConfigDict,
            name: str,
            q_hiddens=(256,),
            dueling: bool = False,
            num_atoms: int = 1,
            use_noisy: bool = False,
            v_min: float = -10.0,
            v_max: float = 10.0,
            sigma0: float = 0.5,
            add_layer_norm: bool = False,
    ):
        super(DQNModel, self).__init__(obs_space, action_space, num_outputs, model_config, name,
                                       q_hiddens, dueling, num_atoms, use_noisy, v_min, v_max,
                                       sigma0, add_layer_norm)
        # Ensure that the configuration does not make RLlib add layers on top of our model
        self.validate_config(num_atoms, q_hiddens, dueling, use_noisy, model_config)
        # The internal model takes the observation as input and produces the Q values
        self.internal_model = FullyConnectedNetwork(
                obs_space, action_space, action_space.n, model_config, f'{name}_internal')

def forward(self,
                input_dict: Dict[str, TensorType],
                state: List[TensorType],
                seq_lens: TensorType) -> (TensorType, List[TensorType]):
        """
        Compute the (masked) Q values.

:param input_dict:  Dictionary with keys 'obs' (the original observation dictionary) and
                            'obs_flat' (the flattened observation)
        :param state:       Not used in fully connected model
        :param seq_lens:          Not implemented

:return q_values: Tensor with (masked) Q values
        :return state:    The state received as input (not used here)
        """
        observation = input_dict['obs_flat']
        q_values, _ = self.internal_model({'obs': observation})
        if 'mask' in input_dict['obs']:
            mask = input_dict['obs']['mask']
            inf_mask = tf.maximum(tf.math.log(mask), tf.float32.min)
            q_values = q_values + inf_mask
        return q_values, state

def validate_config(self, num_atoms: int, q_hiddens: Tuple, dueling: bool, use_noisy: bool,
                        model_config: Dict):
        """
        Check that the received config does not make RLlib add layers on top of our model,
        since we want to have full control of it and output q_values directly in forward().
        """
        assert num_atoms == 1, 'Distributional DQN not implemented yet'
        assert not q_hiddens, 'Additional Q layers are not supported with action masking'
        assert not dueling, 'Dueling architecture not supported with action masking'
        assert not use_noisy, 'Additional noisy layers not supported with action masking'
        assert not model_config['post_fcnet_hiddens'], \
            'All hidden layers must be specified in fcnet_hiddens'
        assert not model_config['no_final_linear'], 'Do not skip final linear layer in DQN.'

def value_function(self) -> TensorType:
        raise NotImplementedError('Not used in DQN')

def import_from_h5(self, h5_file: str) -> None:
        raise NotImplementedError('Import from h5 not implemented.')

Thanks @fedetask ,

I have tested that under the master and cannot replicate it there. I have at the end the Box space I passed into the constructor. On which version are you running?

I also changed the GymDict type to gym.spaces.Space type as the former type was unknown to me. Furthermore, the defaults always trigger the assert not use_noisy, 'Additional noisy layers not supported with action masking' assertion.