Impala Examples

Hello, I am new to Ray and attempting to run some basic examples, with an end goal of using IMPALA to run distributed policy optimization across multiple cluster GPU nodes.

I have followed the default installation here RLlib: Industry-Grade Reinforcement Learning — Ray 1.12.0 but have not been able to find any working simple examples thus far. Is there a better source of code examples or getting started guide for Ray RLlib or IMPALA usage in particular?

Ex 1
source : url above (html link count per post limited)
error 1:
$HOME/.conda/envs/rllib/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/agents/trainer.py", line 1035, in _init
raise NotImplementedError
error 2:
$HOME/.conda/envs/rllib/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/_private/services.py", line 392, in wait_for_node
raise TimeoutError(“Timed out while waiting for node to startup.”)

Ex 2
source : ray/impala.py at master · ray-project/ray · GitHub
error :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “cartpole.py”, line 1, in
from ray.rllib.agents.impala import ImpalaConfig
ImportError: cannot import name ‘ImpalaConfig’ from ‘ray.rllib.agents.impala’
($HOME/.conda/envs/rllib/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ray/rllib/agents/impala/init.py)

Thanks for any guidance or recommendations!

How severe does this issue affect your experience of using Ray?

• Medium: It contributes to significant difficulty to complete my task, but I can work around it.

Hi Bennett,

To start with your first question, getting started guide for Ray RLlib, did you try the “RLlib in 60 seconds” on that page you linked? RLlib: Industry-Grade Reinforcement Learning — Ray 1.12.0

If that did not work for you, what was your error message?

Thanks !
Christy

1 Like