Hyperparameter sweep with Ray

Hi to all.

I’m wondering what the most ray-suitable approach to perform hyperparameter sweep is.

Here’s my situation. I have a pseudo-black algorithm - it is not a black box, but I presume this algorithm is a black block. And want to see the sensitivity of the algorithm to the perturbation of the input (hyper)parameter.

In the beginning, I thought to use ray-tune to implement the idea with ray. However, it seems like the ray-tune is designed for sequentially performing the hyperparameter tuning. In my circumstances, the objective is “sweeping” the given hyperparameter set to understand the algorithm’s sensitivity to the hyperparameter.

One more thing I want to attain is to log the outputs with wandb The followings are my trail.

@ray.remote()
def run_algo(hyperparams):
       cost = algo(hyperparams)
       wandb.init()
       wandb.log({'cost':cost})
       return 1

if __name__ == '__main__':
    ray.init(num_cpus=3)

params = [1,2,3,4, ...] # list of hyperparameters
    params = ray.put()
    result = ray.get(run_algo.remote(params))
    print(result)

From here, we have a few questions about my implementation.

1. Am I correctly implementing that the code will spawn three workers (i.e., num_cpus=3) and assign the jobs to the works whenever the workers are idle? Plus, are the workers processing jobs asynchronously?

2. Is there any way to perform (1) without explicitly returning the values from run_algo?

Moreover, what will be better implementation?
Thank you so much!

You should be able to do this with tune just fine. What issue did you run into with that approach?

Sorry for the late response.
Yeah, you are right. I can do it with ray.tune.

Thanks for the comments.