Error When Trying to Tune a Trainable Function

Hi, I’m a new Ray user trying to use Ray Train and Ray Tune to wrap my U-Net training. I’ve successfully replicated the tutorials for Ray Train, and I was able to write a full trainable function and call trainer.fit() to run a few epochs successfully.

However, when trying to use Ray Tune after defining the hyperparameter search space and calling tuner.fit() on the trainable, I get an error. I initially did not have the config as an input/argument of the trainable function, and I got an error “ValueError: Unknown argument found in the Trainable function. The function args must include a ‘config’ positional parameter. Any other args must be ‘checkpoint_dir’. Found: ”.

So, I included the config as an input/argument of the trainable function but ended up with another error “raise SessionMisuseError(ray.train.error.SessionMisuseError: prepare/accelerate utility functions should be called inside a training function executed by `Trainer.run’”.

I’ve searched online for both of these errors but I couldn’t find an applicable solution to mine. I would appreciate any help/input because it seems to be the case that I am stuck. Below is the full error traceback in both of my cases, and I can provide the relevant codes if needed. Thank you in advance!

Error traceback with no “config” parameter in trainable:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\PycharmProjects\hubmap\models\unet++\tune.py", line 482, in <module>
    results = tuner.fit()
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\tuner.py", line 347, in fit
    return self._local_tuner.fit()
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\impl\tuner_internal.py", line 588, in fit
    analysis = self._fit_internal(trainable, param_space)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\impl\tuner_internal.py", line 703, in _fit_internal
    analysis = run(
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\tune.py", line 857, in run
    experiments[i] = Experiment(
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\experiment\experiment.py", line 219, in __init__
    self._run_identifier = Experiment.register_if_needed(run)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\experiment\experiment.py", line 411, in register_if_needed
    register_trainable(name, run_object)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\registry.py", line 105, in register_trainable
    trainable = wrap_function(trainable, warn=warn)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\trainable\function_trainable.py", line 601, in wrap_function
    raise ValueError(
ValueError: Unknown argument found in the Trainable function. The function args must include a 'config' positional parameter. Any other args must be 'checkpoint_dir'. Found: []

Error traceback with “config” parameter in trainable:

File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\air\execution_internal\event_manager.py”, line 110, in resolve_future
result = ray.get(future)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray_private\auto_init_hook.py”, line 24, in auto_init_wrapper
return fn(*args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray_private\client_mode_hook.py”, line 103, in wrapper
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray_private\worker.py”, line 2493, in get
raise value.as_instanceof_cause()
ray.exceptions.RayTaskError(SessionMisuseError): ray::ImplicitFunc.train() (pid=35208, ip=127.0.0.1, actor_id=17c521630b43f15718ffe17e01000000, repr=run_training)
File “python\ray_raylet.pyx”, line 1424, in ray._raylet.execute_task
File “python\ray_raylet.pyx”, line 1364, in ray._raylet.execute_task.function_executor
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray_private\function_manager.py”, line 726, in actor_method_executor
return method(__ray_actor, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\util\tracing\tracing_helper.py”, line 464, in _resume_span
return method(self, *_args, **_kwargs)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\trainable\trainable.py”, line 375, in train
raise skipped from exception_cause(skipped)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\trainable\function_trainable.py”, line 349, in entrypoint
return self._trainable_func(
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\util\tracing\tracing_helper.py”, line 464, in _resume_span
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\trainable\function_trainable.py”, line 666, in _trainable_func
output = fn()
File “C:\Users\Kevin\PycharmProjects\hubmap\models\unet++\tune.py”, line 402, in run_training
model = train.torch.prepare_model(model)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\train\torch\train_loop_utils.py”, line 107, in prepare_model
return get_accelerator(_TorchAccelerator).prepare_model(
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\train_internal\session.py”, line 491, in get_accelerator
_raise_accelerator_session_misuse()
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\train_internal\session.py”, line 474, in _raise_accelerator_session_misuse
raise SessionMisuseError(
ray.train.error.SessionMisuseError: prepare/accelerate utility functions should be called inside a training function executed by Trainer.run
2023-08-11 19:37:42,309 WARNING tune.py:1122 – Trial Runner checkpointing failed: Sync process failed: GetFileInfo() yielded path ‘C:/Users/Kevin/ray_results/tune_trial_1/basic-variant-state-2023-08-11_16-31-58.json’, which is outside base dir ‘C:\Users\Kevin\ray_results\tune_trial_1’
Trial status: 72 ERROR
Current time: 2023-08-11 19:37:42. Total running time: 1min 3s
Logical resource usage: 24.0/24 CPUs, 0/1 GPUs

Hello, I would appreciate any help/inputs - I’m still unable to solve this issue.

Hi could you share the code you are running?

Yes, below are the relevant code and error traceback. If you look at the error, this is also related to the spilled objects not being cleaned up properly, which was already mentioned [here]( Troubleshooting Ray Train on Windows - Ray AIR (Data, Train, Tune, Serve) - Ray). You said to mention it in Ray Core, so should I create a separate issue for this?

Anyways below are the relevant code and full error traceback. Note that if I put in a config parameter in the trainable, which is the run_training() function, I get the previously mentioned error " raise SessionMisuseError(
ray.train.error.SessionMisuseError: prepare/accelerate utility functions should be called inside a training function executed by Trainer.run" which is not shown in the code below.

Code:

search_space = {“batch_size”: model_config.batch_size,“epochs”: model_config.epochs, “learning_rate”: tune.grid_search([1.4e-2,1.4e-3,1.4e-4]),
“T_max”: model_config.T_max, “weight_decay”: model_config.weight_decay, “eta_min”: model_config.eta_min, “binary_threshold”: tune.grid_search([0.1,0.3,0.5,0.7]), “alpha”: tune.grid_search([0.3,0.5,0.7]), “beta”: tune.sample_from(lambda x: 1 - x.config.alpha)}

def convert_batch_to_numpy(batch) → Dict[str, np.ndarray]:
images = np.stack([np.array(image) for image, _ in batch[“item”]])
masks = np.stack([np.array(masks) for _, masks in batch[“item”]])
return {“image”: images, “mask”: masks}

#load dataset
def load_dataset():
model_df_train = new_df_train.reset_index(drop=True)
model_df_val = new_df_val.reset_index(drop=True)
train_dataset = TrainDataSet(df=model_df_train, transforms=train_transforms)
val_dataset = TrainDataSet(df=model_df_val, transforms=val_transforms)
return train_dataset, val_dataset #return train and val datasets
def loss_func(y_pred, y_true): #weighted avg of the two, also explore different weighting and combinations if possible.
return hyp_config.alpha * dice_loss_func(y_pred,y_true) + hyp_config.beta * iou_loss_func(y_pred,y_true)

#code to train one epoch:
def epoch_train(model, optimizer, scheduler):
model.train() #set mode to train
dataset_size = 0 #initialize
running_loss = 0.0 #initialize
scaler = GradScaler() #enable GradScaler for gradient scaling, necessary for prevention of underflow of using fp16 using autocast below
train_dataset_shard = session.get_dataset_shard(“train”) #ray method of dataloaders, getting each batch
train_dataset_batches = train_dataset_shard.iter_torch_batches(batch_size=model_config.batch_size) #ray method of dataloaders, getting each batch
pbar = tqdm(enumerate(train_dataset_batches),colour=‘red’,desc=‘Training’)
for idx, batch in pbar:
batch_size = model_config.batch_size #return batch size N.
images,masks = batch[“image”],batch[“mask”]
with autocast(enabled=True, dtype=torch.float16): #enable autocast for fp16 training, faster forward pass
y_pred, _ = model(images) #forward pass
loss = loss_func(y_pred, masks) #compute losses from y_pred
loss = loss / model_config.iters_to_accumulate #need to normalize since accumulating gradients
scaler.scale(loss).backward() #backward pass, make sure it is not within autocast
if (idx + 1) % model_config.iters_to_accumulate == 0 : #scale updates should only happen at each # of iters to accumulate
scaler.step(optimizer) #take optimizer step
scaler.update() #update scale for next iteration
optimizer.zero_grad() #zero the accumulated scaled gradients
scheduler.step() #change lr,make sure to call this after scaler.step
running_loss += (loss.item() * batch_size) #update current running loss for all images in batch
dataset_size += batch_size #update current datasize
epoch_loss = running_loss / dataset_size #get current epoch average loss
current_lr = optimizer.param_groups[0][‘lr’]
pbar.set_postfix(train_loss=f’{epoch_loss:0.4f}‘,
lr=f’{current_lr:0.5f}') #print current epoch loss and lr
torch.cuda.empty_cache() #clear gpu memory after every epoch
gc.collect() #collect garbage
return epoch_loss #return loss for this epoch

@torch.no_grad() #disable gradient calc for validation
def epoch_valid(model):
model.eval() #set mode to eval
dataset_size = 0 #initialize
running_loss = 0.0 #initialize
valid_ap_history = #initialize
val_dataset_shard = session.get_dataset_shard(“valid”) #ray method of dataloaders, getting each batch
val_dataset_batches = val_dataset_shard.iter_torch_batches(batch_size=model_config.batch_size) #ray method of dataloaders, getting each batch
pbar = tqdm(enumerate(val_dataset_batches),colour=‘red’,desc=‘Validating’)
for idx, batch in pbar:
images,masks = batch[“image”],batch[“mask”]
y_pred, _ = model(images) #forward pass
loss = loss_func(y_pred, masks) #calculate loss
running_loss += (loss.item() * model_config.batch_size) #update current running loss
dataset_size += model_config.batch_size #update current datasize
epoch_loss = running_loss / dataset_size #divide epoch loss by current datasize
masks = masks.squeeze(0)
y_pred_prob = nn.Sigmoid()(y_pred) #get prob by applying sigmoid to logit y_pred
valid_ap = iou_map(masks.cpu().numpy(), y_pred_prob.cpu().numpy(), verbose=0)
valid_ap_history.append(valid_ap)
pbar.set_postfix(valid_loss=f’{epoch_loss:0.3f}')
valid_ap_history = np.mean(valid_ap_history, axis=0) #store mean AP
torch.cuda.empty_cache() #clear gpu memory after every epoch
gc.collect() #collect garbage
return epoch_loss, valid_ap_history #return loss and AP for this epoch

#function that utilizes above train and validation function to iterate them over training epochs, master train code.
#for ray, this is the “train_loop_per_worker” function to run in TorchTrainer()
def run_training():
start = time.time() #measure time
print(f"Training for Fold {model_config.current_fold}")
model = build_model() #build model
print(model)
best_model_wts = copy.deepcopy(model.state_dict())
best_ap = 0 #initial best AP
best_epoch = -1 #initial best epoch
history = defaultdict(list) #history defaultdict to store relevant variables
num_epochs = search_space[“epochs”]
optimizer = optim.Adam(model.parameters(),
lr=search_space[“learning_rate”],
weight_decay=search_space[“weight_decay”]) #initialize optimizer
scheduler = lr_scheduler.CosineAnnealingLR(optimizer,
T_max=search_space[“T_max”],
eta_min=search_space[“eta_min”]) #initialize LR scheduler

for epoch in range(1, num_epochs + 1): #iter over num total epochs
    gc.collect()
    print(f"Current Epoch {epoch} / Total Epoch {num_epochs}")
    print(f'Epoch {epoch}/{num_epochs}', end='')
    train_loss = epoch_train(model, optimizer, scheduler) #train one epoch
    valid_loss, valid_ap_history = epoch_valid(model) #valid one epoch
    valid_ap = valid_ap_history
    checkpoint = Checkpoint.from_dict(dict(epoch=epoch, model=model.state_dict()))
    session.report(dict(loss=valid_loss,ap = valid_ap),checkpoint=checkpoint)
    history['Train Loss'].append(train_loss)
    history['Valid Loss'].append(valid_loss)
    history['Valid AP'].append(valid_ap)
    print(f'Valid AP: {valid_ap:0.4f}')
    #if AP improves, save the best model
    if valid_ap >= best_ap:
        print(f"Valid Score Improved ({best_ap:0.4f} ---> {valid_ap:0.4f})")
        best_ap = valid_ap
        best_epoch = epoch
        best_model_wts = copy.deepcopy(model.state_dict())
        PATH = os.path.join(model_config.model_save_directory, f"best_epoch-{model_config.current_fold:02d}.pt")
        if not os.path.exists(model_config.model_save_directory):
            os.makedirs(model_config.model_save_directory)
        torch.save(model.state_dict(), PATH)
        print("Model Saved!")
    print(f'Best AP so far: {best_ap:0.4f}')
    print(f'Best AP at epoch #: {best_epoch:d}')

#also save the most recent model
    PATH = os.path.join(model_config.model_save_directory, f"latest_epoch-{model_config.current_fold:02d}.pt")
    if not os.path.exists(model_config.model_save_directory):
        os.makedirs(model_config.model_save_directory)
    torch.save(model.state_dict(), PATH)

end = time.time()
time_elapsed = end - start
print('Training complete in {:.0f}h {:.0f}m'.format(
    time_elapsed // 3600, (time_elapsed % 3600) // 60))
print("Best AP@ 0.6IOU: {:.4f}".format(best_ap))

#load best model weights
model.load_state_dict(best_model_wts)

pkl_save_path = os.path.join(model_config.model_save_directory, 'history.pickle')
#save history as pkl:
with open(pkl_save_path, 'wb') as file:
    pickle.dump(history, file)
print(f"Finished Training for fold {model_config.current_fold}")

train_dataset, val_dataset = load_dataset() #load datasets
train_dataset: ray.data.Dataset = ray.data.from_torch(train_dataset)
val_dataset: ray.data.Dataset = ray.data.from_torch(val_dataset)
train_dataset= train_dataset.map_batches(convert_batch_to_numpy).materialize()
val_dataset = val_dataset.map_batches(convert_batch_to_numpy).materialize()

sched = AsyncHyperBandScheduler()
tuner = Tuner(trainable = run_training, param_space = search_space,tune_config = TuneConfig(metric = “ap”,mode = “max”, scheduler = sched, num_samples = 2), run_config= RunConfig(name = “tune_trial_1”))
results = tuner.fit()
print(“Best config is:”, results.get_best_result().config)

Full error traceback:

File “C:\Users\Kevin\PycharmProjects\hubmap\models\unet++\tune.py”, line 482, in
results = tuner.fit()
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\tuner.py”, line 347, in fit
return self._local_tuner.fit()
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\impl\tuner_internal.py”, line 588, in fit
analysis = self._fit_internal(trainable, param_space)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\impl\tuner_internal.py”, line 703, in _fit_internal
analysis = run(
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\tune.py”, line 857, in run
experiments[i] = Experiment(
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\experiment\experiment.py”, line 219, in init
self._run_identifier = Experiment.register_if_needed(run)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\experiment\experiment.py”, line 411, in register_if_needed
register_trainable(name, run_object)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\registry.py”, line 105, in register_trainable
trainable = wrap_function(trainable, warn=warn)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\trainable\function_trainable.py”, line 601, in wrap_function
raise ValueError(
ValueError: Unknown argument found in the Trainable function. The function args must include a ‘config’ positional parameter. Any other args must be ‘checkpoint_dir’. Found:
2023-08-16 13:29:36,898 ERROR external_storage.py:360 – Error cleaning up spill files. You might still have remaining spilled objects inside ray_spilled_objects directory.
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray_private\external_storage.py”, line 354, in _destroy_external_storage
shutil.rmtree(directory_path)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\shutil.py”, line 750, in rmtree
return _rmtree_unsafe(path, onerror)
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\shutil.py”, line 620, in _rmtree_unsafe
onerror(os.unlink, fullname, sys.exc_info())
File “C:\Users\Kevin.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\shutil.py”, line 618, in _rmtree_unsafe
os.unlink(fullname)
PermissionError: [WinError 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: ‘C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Temp\ray\session_2023-08-16_13-26-56_752001_22152\ray_spilled_objects\7d139acfc7ff47669394a46290f93923-multi-12’

Hi, just revisiting- would appreciate an input, thank you!

Could you change this to

def run_training(config):

Also in future posts would it be possible for you to format the code with the “Preformatted text” button (which looks like </>)? This would be super helpful for easier debugging. Thanks!

Thank you for your response, and I’ve formatted the error below as preformatted text, sorry about that!

Going back to the error, if I put in def run_training(config) I get the error below:

2023-08-22 12:55:15,515	ERROR tune_controller.py:911 -- Trial task failed for trial run_training_a0cf4_00009
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\air\execution\_internal\event_manager.py", line 110, in resolve_future
    result = ray.get(future)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\_private\auto_init_hook.py", line 24, in auto_init_wrapper
    return fn(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\_private\client_mode_hook.py", line 103, in wrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\_private\worker.py", line 2493, in get
    raise value.as_instanceof_cause()
ray.exceptions.RayTaskError(SessionMisuseError): ray::ImplicitFunc.train() (pid=18288, ip=127.0.0.1, actor_id=3f875e525047346c1deb1cf701000000, repr=run_training)
  File "python\ray\_raylet.pyx", line 1424, in ray._raylet.execute_task
  File "python\ray\_raylet.pyx", line 1364, in ray._raylet.execute_task.function_executor
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\_private\function_manager.py", line 726, in actor_method_executor
    return method(__ray_actor, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\util\tracing\tracing_helper.py", line 464, in _resume_span
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\trainable\trainable.py", line 375, in train
    raise skipped from exception_cause(skipped)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\trainable\function_trainable.py", line 349, in entrypoint
    return self._trainable_func(
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\util\tracing\tracing_helper.py", line 464, in _resume_span
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\tune\trainable\function_trainable.py", line 666, in _trainable_func
    output = fn()
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\PycharmProjects\hubmap\models\unet++\tune.py", line 402, in run_training
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\train\torch\train_loop_utils.py", line 107, in prepare_model
    return get_accelerator(_TorchAccelerator).prepare_model(
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\train\_internal\session.py", line 491, in get_accelerator
    _raise_accelerator_session_misuse()
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\train\_internal\session.py", line 474, in _raise_accelerator_session_misuse
    raise SessionMisuseError(
ray.train.error.SessionMisuseError: prepare/accelerate utility functions should be called inside a training function executed by `Trainer.run`

I’ve searched for related topics mentioning this, and one solution mentions not having any inputs inside the trainable (so no config). But if I do that, I get a different error mentioned above.

In addition, I get another error related to the spilled objects, and it looks like it’s not being cleaned up properly either:

2023-08-22 13:09:01,674	ERROR external_storage.py:360 -- Error cleaning up spill files. You might still have remaining spilled objects inside `ray_spilled_objects` directory.
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\site-packages\ray\_private\external_storage.py", line 354, in _destroy_external_storage
    shutil.rmtree(directory_path)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\shutil.py", line 750, in rmtree
    return _rmtree_unsafe(path, onerror)
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\shutil.py", line 620, in _rmtree_unsafe
    onerror(os.unlink, fullname, sys.exc_info())
  File "C:\Users\Kevin\.conda\envs\hubmap\lib\shutil.py", line 618, in _rmtree_unsafe
    os.unlink(fullname)
PermissionError: [WinError 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'C:\\Users\\Kevin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\ray\\session_2023-08-22_13-06-21_506991_9452\\ray_spilled_objects\\dbc7b45b08ef4ed989d5fedbdef77323-multi-388'

Any idea what to do about this as well? Thank you!

Hi, just revisiting again- would appreciate an input, thank you in advance!

Hi @chokevin8 , you have to use def run_training(config) as that signature is required to run the trainable at all.

Regarding the error you’re experiencing, the code looks ok on a first glance (though it’s hard to tell as it’s not correctly formatted - maybe you can paste it again (or edit the original post) with proper formatting?).

We are not testing Ray Train with Windows, which only has experimental support anyway. I’d suggest trying to run the same code with WSL on your machine to see if the issue still persists.